(Page 2 of 3)

In 1977 Lois and James Flury moved to the Northwest and continued to buy and sell Curtis' work as private dealers. In 1981 Ms. Flury opened the gallery in Seattle, just a few blocks from where Curtis' first photographic studio once stood. Situated in the colorful Pioneer Square district, Flury & Company occupies the ground floor of the historic Jackson Building. The building was constructed in 1901-02 for the Capital Brewing and Malting Company by the Seattle architectural firm of Breitung & Buchinger. An important feature of the original building was the saloon, where Flury & Company's main gallery is now located. Although the bar was removed long ago, the intricate stucco decoration on the walls and ceiling and the impressive tile floor still remain today.

In 1993 the gallery space was expanded to include two additional galleries adjoining Flury & Company in the same building. Lois Flury and James Flury formed a corporation, Jackson Street Gallery Ltd., and dedicated the new galleries to the buying and selling of antique Native American art. In early 2001 Jackson Street gallery moved into the same space as Flury & Company. The addition of Native American art to the business has proved to be a successful and complementary accompaniment to Flury & Company's collection of Edward Curtis photographic works. In November 2001 Melissa Flury and Rob Godwin joined the gallery.

Click to continue



Flury and Company interior, today